Awarding Body, for the Hospitality and Tourism Industry.
The Federal Executive Council (FEC) at its meeting of Wednesday April 10, 2013 approved a Six-Level National Vocational Qualification Framework (NVQF) for the country. The framework as approved by the FEC, recognises Vocational and Technical Qualifications Structure within the National Educational System/Standards, and places same in the scheme of service.
The Institute for Tourism Professionals of Nigeria is the approved Awarding Body (Hospitality and Tourism), by the National Board for Technical Education (NBTE), the principal organ of the Federal Ministry of Education, specifically created to handle all aspects of Technical and Vocational Education falling outside the University Education system.
By this recognition as an Awarding Body for the Hospitality and Tourism Industry, the Institute for Tourism Professionals of Nigeria is granted the mandate to develop and administer accredited qualifications, approving and monitoring of training centres, issuing certificates, and provide an adequate process for continuous professional development (CPD) for every category of staff.
TRADE/INDUSTRY PROFESSIONAL BODY- PRODUCTS AND SERVICESLISTING AND MONITORING PROGRAMME (PROSERVE)OF THE CONSUMER PROTECTION COUNCIL.
The Institute for Tourism Professionals of Nigeria was appointed as a registration agent for CPC, ProServeproducts and services listing and monitoring programme, In addition to the recognition of the Institute as the Trade/Industry Professional body (TIP) for the Tourism, Airline and Airport, Hotel, Hospitality and Food Serve Practice/Operations.
By this recognition as TIP the Council expects the Institute to offer education and training programmes, and to award Certificates and licences/membership to practitioners, and service providers after meeting established standards and conditions set by the Institute for Tourism Professionals of Nigeria as a pre-condltion for registration under ProServe.
In addition to the above, the Institute is also recognised as the certification body for personnel involved in grading, classification, and quality assurance certification programmes for Hotel, Tourism and Hospitality Establishments, and as a recognized awarding body, Operating Food Safety and Food Protection Certification Programmes.
We would like to add that CPC’s power to implement the CPR is drawn from the Consumer Protection Council Act, Cap C25, LFN, 2004, and The Consumer Protection (Products and Services Monitoring and Registration) Regulations 2005 published in the Federal Republic of Nigeria official gazette No. 12, vol. 92 of 1st March 2005.
ACCREDITATION OF TRAINING COURSE INTENDED FOR PERSONS SEEKING TO BECOME MEMBERS OF THE ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH PROFESSION AS FOOD SAFETY INSPECTION OFFICERS (FSIOS) WITH THE ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH OFFICERS REGISTRATION COUNCIL OF NIGERIA.
The Council has approved the FOOD SAFETY INSPECTION TRAINING PROGRAMME for Environmental Health Officers in Nigeria using the jointly developed curriculum by the Council and your Institute.
The Council commends the Institute in seeking the approval and collaboration with EHORECON in promoting Food Safety and Hygiene in Nigeria, and assures you of our continued support.
APPROVAL OF REQUEST FOR INSTITUTIONAL COLLABORATION
The NIFST Governing Council approved institutional collaboration between our two organisations.
The terms of our collaboration are as set out in the signed MoU.
The National Institute for Food Science and Technology Council warmly welcome this professional relationship with the Institute for Tourism Professionals in capacity building, and the lnstitutionalisation of best practice for various players along the food chain with a view to improving and enhancing food safety in Nigeria.
APPROVAL OF REQUEST FOR RECOGNITION AND COLLABORATION
Your request for recognition and collaboration with this institute refers.
2. I am directed to convey approval of Management and to congratulate you on the signing of the Memorandum of Understanding in that respect.
3. NIHOTOUR as you are aware now plays a dual role of setting training standards and regulating professional practices in the Hospitality, Travel and Tourism sector of our economy.
4. It is therefore imperative that the understanding between the institute of Tourism professionals and NIHOTOUR contribute to the on-going efforts to promote professionalism and professionalization for healthy growth and development of the industry.
5. While looking forward to a mutually benefitting collaboration, accept DG, assurances of the high esteem of the Director General, NIHOTOUR.
FOCUS: The Focus or Objectives of FTTAN as the Umbrella body of all member Travel and Tourism Associations in Nigeria are as follows: Endeavour to:
- Act as the apex body to provide leadership, direction and control for private sector travel, hospitality and allied services associations/businesses.
- Co-ordinate, promote and protect the interest of the sector of the nation’s economy and in particular the interests of its members.
- Liaise, interact and work in concert with the government (Federal, States, and LGAs) and its agencies in order to guarantee the timely and effective development of travel and tourism resources in Nigeria.